The RSL Sub Branch Passionately Provides Services for ex-Service Community and Their Families
Our local area programs (what we do):
- Fund raising leading up to ANZAC DAY and Remembrance Day which contributes to wider RSL NSW programs such as the Nowra Veterans Wellbeing Centre, and DefenceCare services to Veterans in need
- Support 2 Level Two Advocates operating from the Sub Branch
- Provide Welfare Officers to assist local Veterans
- Sponsor events for local serving Defence members and Veterans
- Support the Sub Branch Day Club who have cared for the elderly for nearly 30 years
- Organise commemorations for the Greenwell Point Dawn Service, the Nowra Memorial and War Cemetery, and Boer War Service
- Support commemorations for Remembrance Day, Kapjong Day and Long Tan Day
- Provide a venue for Veteran activities and community groups
- Support remembrance events at schools (3 high schools, 3 church schools, 4 primary/infant schools)
- Sponsored participants for the Kokoda Youth Challenge
- Funded Digger Day for 7 years
- Support for local Navy, Army and Air Force Cadet Units
- Represent the RSL and the Sub Branch at local military bases (ALBATROSS and CRESWELL) at Divisions and Beat To Quarters, Mess functions, Commissionings and De-commissionings, and Graduations
- Attend funerals (over 300 during the past decade)
- Conduct trips for Members including bus trips, BBQs and Picnics, and a whale watching cruise
For more details on services and facilities, see below.
The Sub Branch has plenty of space to catch up with other Members, discuss issues with our Executive and staff, or just view the memorabilia we have on display in our hall.
Sub Branch Library
The WO Peter Penny Library has a range of books, magazines and papers that detail the many facets of the operations, campaigns and service that involved Australian forces. Members are welcome to borrow items from the Library. See the office staff to register the loan
Our sub-Branch has a very active and qualified Level 2 Compensation Advocate who is able to assist in the completion of all DVA forms and lodgement of claims related to Disability Claims, Applications for Disability Pensions, Applications for Increases to Disability Pensions and Applications for Service Pensions. In addition, the Compensation Advocate is able to assist with numerous DVA related forms and Administrative processes.
The Compensation Advocate is able to assist and advise on eligibility and entitlement under all three current Acts of Legislation: the Veterans Entitlement Act 1986 (VEA), the Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1986 (Defence Act) (DRCA) and the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA).
Strictly by appointment only.
Our Welfare Officer supports the Ex-Service community and their families by helping to access benefits provided through the appropriate networks. He also visits veterans/ex-service personnel at hospital and at home and can arrange assistance where it is required.
Lyrebird Day Club
If you are a senior and looking for a day out to enjoy companionship, friendship, laughter, card games or indoor bowls, and bus outings, come along to our Day Club. For just $5.00 you will enjoy a morning tea, lunch and entertainment and transport to the club if required.
The Sub-Branch hall in Junction Street Nowra is available for hire. All people or organisations wishing to book the hall will need to arrange their own Public Liability insurance coverage; bookings cannot be accepted without this coverage.