Services for the Serving and ex-Service Community and Their Families
Programs for ANZAC Day 2023
Timings for Greenwell Point:
0510: Form up for march
0525: Step off
0530: Dawn service
Timings for Nowra:
1010: Form up for march
1030: Step off
What We Do
Our local area programs (what we do):
- Raise funds leading up to ANZAC DAY and Remembrance Day which contribute to wider RSL NSW programs such as the Nowra Veterans Wellbeing Centre and RSL NSW LifeCare Veterans Services for Veterans in need
- Assist local Veterans experiencing difficulties through our Welfare Officers
- Fund the Nowra RSL Sub-Branch Scholarship to enable children of Veterans to complete tertiary studies
- Conduct and/or sponsor events for local serving Defence members and Veterans (sporting and social)
- Support the Sub Branch Day Club who have cared for the elderly for nearly 30 years
- Organise and conduct ANZAC Day commemorations for the Greenwell Point Dawn Service, the Nowra Memorial March and Service, War Cemetery Service, and Boer War Service
- Support commemorations for Remembrance Day, Kapjong Day and Long Tan Day
- Provide a venue for Veteran activities and community groups
- Support remembrance events at schools (3 high schools, 3 church schools, 4 primary/infant schools)
- Support for local Navy, Army and Air Force Cadet Units
- Represent the RSL and the Sub Branch at local military bases (ALBATROSS and CRESWELL) at Divisions and Beat To Quarters, Mess functions, Commissionings and De-commissionings, and Graduations
- Attend funerals to conduct RSL Tribute services (over 300 during the past decade)
- Conduct trips for Members including bus trips, BBQs and picnics, and an annual whale watching cruise
- Have sponsored participants for the Kokoda Youth Challenge
- Funded Digger Day for 7 years up to 2018
For more details on services and facilities, see below.
The Sub Branch has plenty of space to catch up with other Members, discuss issues with our Executive and staff, or just view the memorabilia we have on display in our hall.
Sub Branch Library
The WO Peter Penny Library has a range of books, magazines and papers that detail the many facets of the operations, campaigns and service that involved Australian forces. Members are welcome to borrow items from the Library. See the office staff to register the loan
Our sub-Branch Advocate has made the hard decision to call it a day. Like many RSL Advocates he is a volunteer and the time has come to focus on other priorities. The Nowra Sub-Branch thanks him for his services over the years.
To access Advocacy services in the Shoalhaven please contact one of the following:
Nowra Veterans Wellbeing Centre: call 4428 5777 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Huskisson RSL Sub-Branch: call 44417766 to make an appointment (located in Club Jervis Bay)
Sub-Branch Office is open Tuesday 0830 – 1200.
Illawarra Veterans Entitlement Service (IVES): call 42971987 (located at 70 Queen Street, Warilla)
Tuesday 0900 – 1600, Thursday 0900 – 1600, Friday 0900 – 1200
Welfare: call Neil 0427 606780 (located at Sussex Inlet)
DVA: 1800 555254
Our Welfare Officer supports the Ex-Service community and their families by helping to access benefits provided through the appropriate networks. He also visits veterans/ex-service personnel at hospital and at home and can arrange assistance where it is required.
Lyrebird Day Club
If you are a senior and looking for a day out to enjoy companionship, friendship, laughter, card games or indoor bowls, and bus outings, come along to our Day Club. For just $10.00 you will enjoy a morning tea, lunch and entertainment and transport to the Sub-Branch if required. View the Lyrebird Club brochure by clicking here: Lyrebird Day Club.
The Sub-Branch hall in Junction Street Nowra is available for hire. All people or organisations wishing to book the hall will need to arrange their own Public Liability insurance coverage; bookings cannot be accepted without this coverage.